10 May 13

Masai Ujiri who played for us in 2001/02 is now Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Denver Nuggets. This week he was awarded the NBA Executive of the Year 2012/13. It's been an amazing rise from EBL player to the NBA for Masai and we send our congratulations to him and his family in Denver.

Click here for the full story

20 May 12

Sunday 20th May 2012 ; A great day for the Club

On Sunday both Wildcats Mens and Womens teams made their way to Chessington Sports Centre for the Cup Finals. Both teams were the current holders, so both were trying to retain their respective trophies .

The Womens Cup Final was played first, the opponents were Tandridge, and both teams made a slow start and scoring was low. At the half time break, Tandridge held a two point advantage . In the 2nd half, Wildcats coach Adam Pearce used all 10 of his experienced players to wear down the opposition . Wildcats used different traps and full court defences to force turnovers which resulted in lay-ups and numerous free-throws for Kingston. This proved crucial . Wildcats pulled away and retained the Cup with a final score of 41 - 31. It was an excellent all round team performance with 8 different players scoring.

The Mens Cup Final soon followed with Kingston Wildcats 2nds facing off against Mole Valley Phoenix . This was a real contrast in styles with Wildcats height and experience going against Mole Valley's speed and youth. The 1st quarter was dominated by 1 player ; Rob Kornas for Kingston was in excellent form. He had a mixture of jump shots and baseline drives on his way to 11 points in the first 10 minutes. Wildcats edged ahead by 7 points at the first break. The 2nd period saw more of the same as Wildcats post players started to make their presence known . Evan York, Matt Pye and Andy Nowak scored, rebounded and helped push the lead for Kingston up to 17 points at the half time interval.

The 2nd half of the Final did not provide too many highlights for Kingston, or many real comebacks from Mole Valley. For most of the remainder of the game the margin stayed in the region of 15 to 20 points and at the final buzzer Kingston had retained the Cup by the score of 75 to 55. All 12 players got court time, and the win completed an excellent day for the Club overall.

Top 3 scorers ;
Rob Kornas 22
Evan York ; 15
Matt Pye ; 14

12 June 11

Tile Hill Trojans beat Kingston Wildcats 86 - 80 in the third game of the annual Alto Clothing Trojans Wildcats Trophy.  In a game where the Wildcats were 13 up in the first half and Trojans up by as many as 18 in the second half the outcome was still in doubt in the last minute of the game.  The spectators saw an exciting high tempo game that will boost the confidence of the Trojans who enter the National Founders Cup this coming season.

Tile Hill managed to put out a full team for the first time in these games, whereas Kingston only had seven players make the trip.  This lack of bodies was to prove key in the outcome as Trojans were able to rest and rotate players, while Wildcats coach Phil Gunner struggled with options especially at the forward and centre positions.

The game started fairly evenly, with neither team managing to put much of a run together.  Trojans opened the scoring with a couple of layups from Lukasz Naleajka and Joel Stephenson.  Kingston didn't trouble the scorer until the third minute with a three pointer from Jordan Edison.  The quarter ended 20 - 18 to Kingston. 

At the start of the second period the Wildcats shooters started to warm up.  A pair of threes by Edison and another from Carl Plunkett gave Kingston their biggest lead 36 - 23 after four minutes.  Ross Alexander called a swift time-out and whatever he said to his team paid dividends, Trojans held Wildcats scoreless for the next four minutes and reduced the deficit to four points.  Richard Onions closed out the half with six straight points for Tile Hill to end the half down 42 - 38.

The third quarter was the turning point in the game.  An early three from Tom Anderson, followed by some accurate shooting around the key by Matt Jenner, help push Trojans into the lead.  A great defensive effort and good work on the boards from Scott Owen and Trevor Robinson helped Tile Hill to a double digit advantage.  The quarter was a disaster for Kingston scoring just 10 points while giving up 22, and Trojans turned a 4 point half time deficit into an 8 point lead at the end of the third quarter.

Tile Hill started the final period strongly, extending their lead to 75 - 57 in the fifth minute.  Kingston then began to chip away at the lead, pulling back ten points, mainly from the foul line.  As the clock ticked away with Kingston still down they fouled to put Trojans on the line.  This ploy, along with a pair of late threes from Wes Chantler, almost paid off as Trojans only hit three from eight from the line.  However Tile Hill’s fresher legs and cool heads managed to hang on to the lead to take the 2011 Trojan Wildcats Trophy.

Many thanks to Justin Edison of Alto Clothing for his continued support of this event, and to all players, coaches, officials and spectators.

Trojans Scorers:

Matt Jenner 15, Scott Owen 12, Richard Onions 11, Joel Stephenson 11, Tom Anderson 10, Mark Reynolds 9, Trevor Robinson 8, Lukasz Naleajka 5, Tim Duckers 3.

Wildcats Scorers:

Jordan Edison 18, Carl Plunkett 14, Wes Chantler 12, Max Curle 12, Andy Calley 11, Steve Rich 9, Mark Bottiglia 4.

5 June 11

The 3rd annual Trojans Wildcats Trophy game is taking place at Hereward College, Tile Hill, CV4 9SW on Sunday 12th June. The event is once again sponsored by Alto Clothing who specialist in fashionable clothing for tall slim men. The game will tip-off at 1.15pm and will be followed by the Trojans end of season BBQ.

20 May 11

Kingston Wildcats 3rd vs Royal Russell Raiders was played on Friday 20th May and the mission was simple for Kingston; Win and be League Champions! A loss would mean 2nd place.

Kingston replicated their 1st quarter performance from their previous game and blitzed the opposition. Wildcats post players attacked the basket and drew fouls and free throws which, together with a good start from Max Curle, meant an early lead of 14 - 5, the remainder of the period was fairly even with Mark Burton scoring points for Royal Russell. But Carl Plunkett with 3 foul shots and 1 three pointer kept Wildcats ahead by 10 points at the first interval.

Kingston 3rds struggled slightly in the next period to continue their good, balanced scoring with only Max, Matt Pye and Ed Saayeng notching any points. The opposition did well and at half time the game was well poised for a great finish; Kingston ahead by just 4 points.

The third quarter was very scrappy from both sides. Poor shooting, and poor decisions lead to a low scoring 10 minutes, but the momentum of the game clearly swung towards Royal Russell. Long distance scores from Brian Moore visibly shook Kingston and Wildcats coach found if difficult to find a good combination.

The last 10 minutes of the season was here, and as the 4th quarter started Kingston were still in front, but now by just a single point. The League winners would now be decided. It proved to be a disaster for Wildcats. They could not score from 3 point range, and their number of missed foul shots continued to mount up. Royal Russell were not so generous from the foul line and scored a good percentage. The same could not be said for Kingston, they missed 12, and this was an important factor. Royal Russell won the game 90 - 76 and were therefore Surrey Premier League winners.

Top scorers
Matt Pye and Max Curle - both 16
Ed Saayeng - 11
Michael Sullivan - 8

A very disappointing end to the season for Kingston 3rds. There were unfortunately some long term injuries to guards James Curran, Ed Saayeng and Stuart Tanner which resulted in many games with a depleted squad.
A League finish of 17 and 4; second in the League, and 19 and 5 overall was just 1 or 2 wins short of a great season.

17 May 11

Tuesday 17th May saw a massively important away match for Wildcats 3 against the fast, and fast improving Mole Valley squad. It was a top of the table clash with Kingston in a "must win" situation, while the home team were aiming to finish in 2nd place in the final League standings. A Wildcats win would mean they could still win the Division title, but a loss would end their hopes.

Wildcats 3rds opened with energy and effort on the offensive end, and with passion and hard work on the defensive end. Scoring wise they made a blistering start; up 18 - 4 with points coming from all angles and all players; Michael Sullivan and Matt Pye dominating around the basket. After 4 minutes played Mole Valley called a time out and slowed the Wildcats flow, but only for a short period of time. Kingston closed the quarter strongly with further scores from Matt and successful free throws from Ed Saayeng. At the first interval Wildcats were in front by a score of 35 - 15, almost certainly their best quarter of the season.

In the second 10 minutes Kingston extended their lead, but only slightly. Some excellent passing (James Curran) and driving layups (Max Curle) were a feature of this period and at half time the away team were now ahead by 24 points.

The young, quick guards of Mole Valley decided to change the game completely. In the 3rd quarter they went on an impressive scoring binge. Full credit to them as they gained confidence quickly and sliced the deficit even faster! Even two timeouts from Kingston could not slow them down, as the deficit was closed to 11 points.

At this stage, Max Curle stepped up. He scored from long range and together with a change in Wildcats defence this proved the deciding factor. For each Mole Valley score, Max replied with a three, or with an assist to Matt or Ed. This passage of play was crucial and "iced" the game.

A very difficult match resulted in a Wildcats win by 99 - 82. For long spells this was one of the team's better performances, with big contributions from all the players, indicated by the fact Kingston had 7 players scoring in double figures.

This result means if Wildcats can win their last match of the Season against Royal Russell, they will be Surrey League winners.

Top scorers ;
Max Curle - 21 ( incl 4 x 3s )
Ed Saayeng - 15
Micheal Sullivan and Matt Pye - both 13
Carl Plunkett - 11

03 May 11

Tuesday saw Wildcats 3 travel to Woking Blackhawks for a game that maybe their last game of this season. This was the venue for Kingston's first game of this campaign, however this time they only had five players. They were hoping to avoid any foul trouble or injuries and see if they could pinch the game late in the 2nd half. Only one of those three wishes came true, no injuries.

Foul trouble; Matt Pye collected his first personal foul after six seconds, and a long night seemed in store.

Pinch the game late; never happened as Wildcats led early and never looked back.

The first quarter was slow, but fairly close. Excellent drives and fast breaks from Matt and James Curran edged Kingston in front after 10 minutes, 18 - 15. In the second period, despite Matt moving onto 3 fouls, Kingston extended their lead with long range scores from Mark Bottiglia, and medium range jump shots from Horacio Lopez. At the half time break Kingston were ahead by 12.

In the 3rd period all five Wildcats players stepped up their passing, spacing and ball movement and blitzed the home side, out scoring them by 26 to 6. The outcome was basically decided then.

Even as the Kingston players began to tire they still managed to extend their advantage by a few more points. Final score Woking 55 Kingston Wildcats 3 96

All players contributed to the points ;

James Curran 25
Mark Bottiglia 23 (5 threes)
Matt, Carl and Horacio all with 15

17 Apr 11

Coming off a tough victory over a young KSOB Team on Friday night, Kingston Wildcats 3rds faced another even more difficult opponent in Royal Russell Raiders in the semi-final of the Surrey Mens cup on Sunday 17th April.

Hopes for a good start for Wildcats went very quickly by the wayside. RRR jumped out to an early 8 - 2 lead, which they further extended to 12 - 4. Wildcats then made an unusual move of substituting 4 players at once, leaving only Michael Sullivan from the original starting 5. This seemed to work immediately particularly for Ed Saayeng and Andy Nowak as they both made consecutive scores around the basket, and as the defence for Kingston also improved, the game was soon tied at 18 points each. The pattern for this game was established; RRR would go ahead, then Wildcats would fight back.

The 2nd Quarter saw more of the same type of runs, this period however was marred by another serious hamstring injury suffered by Ed. He would take no further part in the match.

At the half time interval RRR were in front by 6 points.

Mark Burton went on a scoring binge for RRR and their lead zoomed out to 17 points. After a time-out by Wildcats, and yet another change in the line-up, yet another fight back began. Points and assists from Horacio Lopez, combined with 3s from Carl and Mark (including 1 at the 3rd quarter buzzer) meant that the 17 point deficit was now just 3 points with the last 10 minutes to follow.

Kingston knew the momentum had swung in their favour and due to foul trouble amongst the RRR bigs, they attacked inside with Matt Pye and Michael . The two teams could hardly be separated as the end of the game drew closer and closer. The teams were tied at 75, 77, 79, 81, 85 and lastly at 87 each. Wildcats missed several free throws and this was to prove very costly. RRR edged ahead in the last few seconds and won by 94 to 89.

A very good team effort with contributions from all 9 players, with only a few minor errors, together with too many missed foul shots made the difference between winning and losing this tough contest.

Final score
Wildcats 3rds 89
RRR 94

The spread of scorers was an indication of the real team performance.
Carl Plunkett 16
Matt Pye 14
Michael Sullivan 13
Stuart Tanner 11
Mark Bottiglia 10

15 Apr 11

Friday 15th April saw the 3rd and final meeting between Kingston School of Basketball and Wildcats 3rds. WiIdcats had won the previous two meetings and knew the opposition would be out for revenge. Wildcats made an excellent start in the first period with 8 different players notching in the scoring column leading to a good advantage of 12 points at the first interval, 26 - 14.

KSOB quietly, slowly and steadily got back into contention behind several drives and lay-ups from Ed Mensah, and Wildcats 3rds struggled to find their range from distance. At halftime their lead had been cut back to 6 points. The 3rd quarter saw KSOB continue to play well, and soon they gained more momentum and edged in front. Back to back 3s from James Curran quickly leveled the scores, and for the remainder of the contest the teams traded baskets and quick, short scoring runs.

In the final 10 minutes there was little to choose between the sides, Stuart Tanner and Michael Sullivan providing most of the scoring for Wildcats in a tense period of play. As the game seemed to be heading towards a KSOB victory, the two veterans for Wildcats, Mark and Carl, both made 3 point shots to give their side a crucial late lead. The last few moments saw Wildcats 3rds score 4 free-throws in the last 7 seconds to stretch the margin of victory to 6 points.

Final score
Kingston Wildcats 93

Top scorers
Stuart Tanner 21
Michael Sullivan 19
Carl Plunkett 12
Mark Bottiglia 11

09 Apr 11

We lost the Founders cup final 79 - 70 against Rocco's Raiders. After a good start and holding a 36 - 25 half time lead, we collapsed in the third quarter scoring only 9 points. Rocco's took the lead in the last minute of the third quarter, a lead they would not give up. We got the deficit back to 1 point on a Carl Plunkett 3 pointer with 2:35 left, but that was as close as we got. Steve Rich led the scoring with 19 points, with Mark Bottiglia and Phil Kidd both hitting 12 each. The stats show we shot a better percentage on 2's, 3's and foul shots and out rebounded Rocco's, but turned the ball over 32 times. The club have now been in the final five times including the last four in a row which is an achievement we can all be proud of.

03 Apr 11

Sunday 3rd April saw Kingston Wildcats 3rds travel to play Royal Russell Raiders in a top of the table clash, both teams having had two losses. After two baskets from Mark Bottiglia the pattern of the game was quickly changed, as Wildcats were penalised with numerous questionable fouls by one of the officials. This meant that despite some excellent drives and scores from Ed Saayeng, RRR had a 3 point advantage after the first quarter, but 3 Kingston players were already in foul trouble.

In the 2nd ten minute period the home team had their best spell with Roger Lloyd causing problems in close, and scoring too frequently for Kingston to counter. Several times Kingston changed their defence and their personal but could not stop Raiders from pushing ahead by a score of 46 to 34 at the half time interval.

The Wildcats were unable to control their frustation at times in the second half, but this also seemed to inspire the Wildcats to "dig in" and after Raiders had extended their to lead to as many as 22 points Carl Plunkett and Max Curle fought back. Carl notching from long range and Max with drives and foul shots. Kingston closed the margin to 13 points, only for two technical fouls to be called on them which stopped their momentum.

The evening was further soured by an injury to Ed Saayeng.

RRR played well in spells but the margin of their victory probably owed more to outside influences and not what the players did on court. A disappointing result putting to an end Kingston 3rds long winning streak.

Final score
Royal Russell 96
Kingston 3rds 80

Top 3 scorers ;
Max Curle 24
Michael Sullivan 15
Carl Plunkett 12

26 Mar 11

We beat Ware Jokers 81 - 73 after overtime to reach our 4th consecutive National Founders cup final. The final will be against Roccos Raiders or Anzsac London on Saturday 9th April at Medway Park, Kent.

20 Mar 11

Sunday 20th March saw the third league meeting of the season between the 3rd and 2nd teams. Kingston 2nds were classed as the away team, and scored the first 4 points of the game. This sparked 3rds to quickly find their range from distance with Carl, Mark and Horacio all scoring at least once from behind the arc. Ed and Steve then pushed the pace, resulting in fast break points and free throws. 3rds closed the quarter strongly notching 12 points in a row, and were ahead 26 to 13 at the first break.

In the second period, Kingston 2nds fought back very well with Tom Wright and Paul Chantler scoring freely and the pattern of the next two periods was firmly established; 3rds would edge in front and 2nds would then close the gap quickly. After 30 minutes of action the game was tied at 59 apiece.

The crucial and decisive period was the 4th Quarter. 3rds changed from their regular starting 5, and this seemed to work. 3rds scored 16 points without reply, just as earlier in the game mainly on fast breaks and in transition. Once again, 2nds responded and closed the margin slightly, but on this occasion in was not enough. Another run of points from Ed and Matt Pye, and foul shots from Mark, made the final score Kingston 3rds 91, Kingston 2nds 72.

3rds had an impressive spread of scorers with 5 players in double digits ;
Horacio Lopez - 17
Mark Bottiglia - 14
Steve Rich - 13
Ed Saayeng - 12
Matt Pye - 11

27 Feb 11

Sunday 27th February saw Kingston Wildcats 3rds travel to play Surrey Spitfires in the Cup quarter final stage. The away side continued their winning streak (to 7) but also their streak of playing short-handed, with only 7 players available.

Spitfires are in the Surrey First Division and unbeaten this season. They were backed by a large crowd and no doubt were looking for a "Cup Shocker". It looked for all of the first half as this may happen. The home team started well with alot of energy and confidence, while Kingston made a very slow and sluggish start. Their regular shooters really struggled to find their range and their inside players struggled with some unusual referreeing calls. After the first 10 minutes Wildcats trailed 16 to 10.

Despite substitutions and time-outs from Kingston they could still not get a foothold in the game. As the second period neared its end, Matt Pye and Mark Bottiglia combined on pick and rolls to bring the points spread closer, and Wildcats trailed at the interval by just 3 points.

The cliche of " a game of two halves" was proved in this one. Kingston's defence, lead by an outstanding effort by Michael Sullivan on Spitfires main player, meant the home side were limited to difficult shots and turnovers. At the offence end of the court, Mark and Michael took over. Mark now found his three point stroke, and Michael's post moves and footwork lead to a huge amounts of fouls by Spitfires and foul shots for Kingston.

In the remaining two quarters, the home side managed 14, then 13 points, while Kingston continued to excel and further extend their lead with further contributions and scores from Max Curle. As the foul count continued to grow, Wildcats made their free-throws and scored 31 points in the final period.

Final score Surrey Spitfires 61 - Kingston Wildcats 3rds - 81. Kingston now play Royal Russell in the semi-final.

Top 3 scorers ;
Mark Bottiglia - 26 (7 x 3's)
Michael Sullivan - 16
Max Curle - 11

20 Feb 11

Sunday 20th Feb saw Cheam Chargers visiting Chessington Sports Centre to play Kingston Wildcats 3rds for the last time in Season 2010/11. With only 6 players available (again) Wildcats were looking to try and maintain their good recent unbeaten run. Steve Rich from the Founders Cup team stepped in to assist and push the pace in transition. This ploy worked well for some parts of the 1st quarter with the home team's regular long distance threats (Carl and Mark) scoring a combined 12 points. A very poor last 90 seconds enabled Cheam to narrow the margin of their deficit to just 5 points.

In the 2nd period Michael Sullivan, with post moves, and Steve Rich with drives helped Wildcats extend their lead early, but another decent finish to the quarter saw Cheam stay just within touching distance. Half time score Kingston 44 - Cheam 36.

After the Break, Wildcats finally put together their best spell of the entire match. Good defence and rebounding led to some fast breaks and even more successful three point shots from Carl and Mark. In a blistering 4 minute spell Cheam were out-scored by 21 points to 5. A time-out was called, and Cheam then established the pattern by finishing the last few minutes of each period in very strong fashion; slicing 7 points off from the Wildcats advantage.

The last quarter was fairly evenly matched with every good scoring run by one team being erased by the other. After the final buzzer, Wildcats had managed to secure an 11 point victory 92 -81.

Top 3 scorers ;
Carl Plunkett 24 (8 x 3s)
Mark Bottiglia 20 (6 x 3s)
Michael Sullivan 20

13 Feb 11

Sunday 13th February saw Wildcats 3rds play Sunbury Sonics for the third and final time this season. The previous meeting before Christmas was a very close, tough, hard fought away win for a Wildcats team that had only 7 players on the day. But this game at Chessington was only similar in one respect; Wildcats were again missing several players and had only 6 guys available. None of the spectators could have guessed what would follow.

Wildcats started brilliantly with the first 8 points of the game, 5 of those coming from Horacio Lopez. Sunbury tried briefly to stem the tide, but after just 6 minutes Kingston were ahead by a margin of 28 to 7. Wildcats players were scoring in all manner of ways with 3s from Mark, Carl and Horacio and from post moves and lay-ups from Michael Sullivan. The only blemish in this first 10 minutes was two fouls being called against Horacio which meant he had to sit out almost half of the quarter. After the first period Kingston were ahead 35 to 15.

After the interval Wildcats continued to score freely from all angles, all players and all distances . By half time they were in front by 34 points.

In the 3rd period it was much the same; one-way traffic. Sunbury made substitutions and changed their defence, but could still not stop Wildcats from further extending their lead. In this 10 minutes, the away team scored 11 points which was matched by Horacio Lopez.

Credit to Kingston they carried only playing hard and pushing the pace. They passed well in transition, as well as in the half court. This led to numerous successful three pointers from Carl and Mark. Final score was Kingston Wildcats 128 - Sunbury Sonics 51. This result left Wildcats 3rds with a League record of 12 wins and 2 losses, but with still alot of tough games ahead.

Top scorers ;
Horacio Lopez 41
Mark Bottiglia 27 ( 7 three pointers )
Carl Plunkett 25 ( 8 three pointers )
Michael Sullivan 22

23 Jan 11

Sunday 23rd Jan, saw the second meeting of the season between Kingston 3rds and 2nds. 2nds were looking for revenge after their loss in November. The first quarter set the tone for the whole game; low scoring, missed foul shots and missed lay-ups and drives.
Kingston 2nds started slightly the better of the two teams scoring 7 of the game's first 9 points. This led to an early time out by 3rds and a slight change in their defence. The remainder of the period remained close, only a 3 from Ed Saayeng on the buzzer inched his team ahead by 3 points; 15 to 12.

The next 10 minutes was very similar to the first, still more missed free thows and lay-ups and again neither side managed to really gain overall control of the contest. At half time 3rds were in front by 5 points.

When the third period began, a burst of defensive energy from 3rds resulted in successful three pointers from Ed and Mark and their margin increased to 12 points. Kingston 2nds then "dug-in", and rallied behind the inside scoring of Andy Calley and Evan York and to their credit they sliced the deficit to just 4 points at the last interval .

The fourth quarter was finally, when both teams managed to put some points on the board. The score fluctuated, with good play from both sides leading to small scoring runs of 6 and 7 points each. Kingston 3rds held an advantage of 6 points until a 3 from Paul Chantler cut this in half. They could not however claw back the last few points. A fast break lay-up plus free throw from Michael Sullivan was the deciding play.

Final score
Kingston 3rds 65
Kingston 2nds 58

Top 3 scorers
Ed Saayeng 17
Mark Bottiglia and Max Curle 12 each

16 Jan 11

Sunday 16th January saw Kingston Wildcats 3rds drawn at home in the Cup against Reigate Falcons ; presently in 2nd place in the 1st Division. The Wildcats only had 7 players available and made their usual slow start; 7 points to both sides after 3 minutes. A scoring boost and spark was provided by Horacio Lopez, when he came off the bench to score 7 very quick points from a mixture off free-throws and twisting drives towards the basket. As the quarter was ending some excellent defensive pressure from Kingston forced some errors from Reigate, which led to several points from Ed Saayeng. After 10 minutes of action the home team lead by 9.

Wildcats extended their advantage in the next period with numerous scores from three point range. Carl Plunkett and Mark Bottiglia combined to make 5 shots from behind the arc. The only blemish at this stage was Kingston's low percentage from the foul line, missing a total of 10.

At half-time Wildcats had pushed further ahead, and at the break the score was 54 to 27.

It was extremely difficult for Reigate to contain Kingston's scoring as James Currans passes were converted frequently to lay-ups by Matt Pye and by three pointers by Carl and Mark. 3rds pushed on, and at the end of the game 5 players had notched a minimum of 17 points. A good indication of a good all round team effort.

Final score; Kingston Wildcats 3rds 118 Reigate Falcons 56

Top 3 scorers ;
Carl and Mark ; 27 each (13 threes combined)
Matt Pye ; 19

09 Jan 11

Sunday 9th Jan 2011, saw Kingston 3rds have their first game back after the recent holiday break. The match was away against Cheam Chargers . Wildcats started slowly in a cold, slippery court which lead to a few unforced turnovers and there were a few signs that players were "rusty" . When Stuart Tanner came off the bench at the midway point of the quarter, he provided a much needed spark with drives and layups , and also two assists to the Kingston perimeter players. Cheam's Leon Parks shot well and kept the score close, a two point margin after the first 10 minutes.

Kingston improved their defence in the next period which enable them to outscore the home team by 9 points with contributions coming from Mark Botiglia (from long range) and Michael Sullivan (in close). Andy Nowak was now making big plays with blocks and rebounding. The half time score was Cheam 29 - Kingston 42.

The start of the 3rd quarter saw the best spell of the match for Kingston as further success from beyond the 3 point line (Carl, Mark and James Curran ) triggered a scoring run of 14 to 4. A time out was called by Cheam and this helped their cause as they closed the quarter with several points without reply.

The final 10 minutes looked to be heading to an evenly matched spell, until more long distance shooting from Carl, Mark, James, Stuart and Horacio extended the final margin of victory to 33 points ; 94 to 61. All 9 Wildcats scored, with 6 players making it into double figures.

Top 3 scorers;
Stuart - 18
Mark - 15
James - 12

12 Dec 10

Kingston Wildcats 3rds hosted the ever-improving KSOB coached well by Peri Ansah. Maybe it was due to the recent icy conditions, but both teams experienced long spells of cold shooting, especially Wildcats. This was a major factor in the course of the entire game being only separated by a few points to either side. Despite six different Kingston players scoring points in the first quarter, they lead only by 3 points after 10 minutes.
The poor shooting continued in the next period for both teams, which resulted in neither side scoring more than 13 points. At Half time the Wildcats were ahead by a single point.
In the 3rd quarter the very close, back and forth nature continued, but no team could really gain any momentum . KSOB edged ahead as the last stanza approached and held a two point advantage at the last regular interval. Seven quick points from the away side pushed them ahead slightly, by four, but eight points from James Curran and four from Michael Sullivan gave the Wildcats the lead by 70 - 69. A single free-throw tied the game, and for the second time this season Wildcats 3 played overtime.
Kingston then played their best defence of the game, and at the other end of the floor, Michael "went to work" in the post. This enabled the Wildcats to gain their biggest lead of the match, five points. A last second 3 point shot by the visitors left the final score at 80 - 78 to Kingston.

Top 3 scorers
Matt Pye 16
James Curran 14
Michael Sullivan 12

05 Dec 10

Sunday 5th December saw the second meeting of the season between Kingston 3rds and Mole Valley. Wildcats were the home team on this occaision, even though the game could not be played at Chessington. Mole Valley had signed a couple of new, very impressive players since the earlier game, and soon "inched" in front early in the first quarter by a score of 13 - 10. When Ed Saayeng entered the game, he did so with a major impact. With a mixture of shooting, drives and foul-shots Ed scored 16 points before the first buzzer sounded to end the period. Kingston now led at break by 7 points.
Mole Valley had an excellent start to the second stanza, and the game and score swiftly swung in their favour. Only Carl Plunkett with 5 threes in this quarter kept the home team close, as foul trouble started to be a real factor in the match. Half time came with the teams level.
The 3rd period was crucial, and the decider in hindsight. The visiting players shot well from distance, and used their young quick feet to drive in for numerous baskets. They went into a nine point lead as the 4th quarter started.
Kingston tried to come back, and did manage to score 34 points in the last 10 minutes, but it was still not quite enough. Kingston lost Matt Pye with 5 fouls with 8 minutes left, then Mark Bottiglia went the same way with 4 minutes left. Two more players (Michael and Jayde) fouled out , as Mole Valley shot their free throws at a good percentage. Wildcats played the last few seconds with just 4 guys available.

Final score ; Kingston 3rds 95, Mole Valley 104.

Top 3 scorers ;
Ed Saayeng 31
Carl 26 (eight 3 pointers)
Matt 11

02 Dec 10

Unfortunately Saturday's Founders Cup game against Twickenham has been postponed due to the snow. As soon as it's rescheduled we confirm it on here.

28 Nov 10

Due to a batch of injuries Kingston Wildcats 3rds had a difficult away match against Sunbury Sonics with just 6 players. Strangely, Sunbury also were missing alot of players, and they too had 6 guys. This proved to be an indication of the match to follow with almost nothing to split the teams in terms of scoring points, and stopping the opposition from scoring.
The first 10 minutes set the tone with neither team managing to secure the lead in a dominant fashion, leading to a score of 17 to 15 in favour of Sunbury at the quarter break. As the second quarter came to an end the home team scored on several fast break lay-ups. This run was only stopped by a 3 point shot on the half time buzzer by Michael Sullivan, which cut Sunbury's lead to 7 points at the interval .
Some harsh words in the Wildcats half time huddle did not have the desired effect and they soon fell further behind, 43 - 54. Kingston then called a time-out, and in a similar way to the previous game against Woking, switched their defence and this seemed to help their cause. This change at one end, together with a boost on offence from Horacio and Michael, clawed the Wildcats back into contention. Back to back 3s from Max Curle and another from Horacio gave Sunbury cause to call a time out of their own. As the period came to a close there was a brief "handags" incident which lead to 2 free throws for each side. At the end of the third Kingston had tied the game at 65 - 65.
An inspired spell of scoring drives and post-ups from Max and Michael swung the match in Kingstons favour. The away team showed a great deal of veteran savvy to score and defend at a very high level in this last quarter, managing to score 30 points in the last 10 minutes.

Final score ; Kingston 95 Sunbury Sonics 88

Top 3 scorers
Horacio Lopez 22
Max Curle and Michael Sullivan 21

21 Nov 10

Yet another home game for Kingston 3rds with Woking the visitors . With a few fast breaks (Matt Pye) coupled with fine passing from James Curran the home team opened up a very quick 11 to 4 lead. Woking regrouped and shot well from 3 and were almost immediately back on level terms. The 1st quarter ended with an incredible 3 point shot from James that he shot from inside his own 3 point line as the buzzer sounded, and swished straight through the hoop ! At the end of the first period the Wildcats led by 4 points.
The 2nd quarter was dominated by poor defensive rebounding by the Kingston and accurate shooting from Woking. The Wildcats struggled at the offensive end of the floor and had a number of unforced turnovers, and missed foul-shots resulting in a half time deficit of 38 to 44.
Kingston changed their set defence after the interval and this, together with an inspired spell from Matt Pye, lead to a real change in the flow of the match. A rapid 9 points from Matt with a mixture for drives and lay-ups meant Woking were forced to call a time out. Two 3 pointers from James pushed Kingston's lead up to 9 points.
As the 4th period began, the rest of the team managed to continue the momentum with major contributions from Michael Sullivan (scoring) and Andy Nowak (block shots and rebounds)
After a poor first half, and excellent recovery meant the Wildcats won their seventh game of the season, against one loss. Final score; Kingston 81 - Woking 68

Top 3 scorers
Matt Pye 27
James Curran 13
Michael Sullivan 10

14 Nov 10

Sunday 14th November saw the first meeting of the season between Kingston 3rds and 2nds, in previous years always a very interesting fixture. Despite missing two key players, the 2nds started well with Chris Howell scoring on a regular basis. However with Matt Pye consistantly replying for the 3rds meant at the end of the 1st quarter there was just two points between the two sides. Both teams struggled to find any real offensive flow during the next period and when half-time arrived the score was level.
The two teams could still not be really separated by any more than 3 or 4 points during the penultimate period, so the game was still very much in the balance at the start of the 4th quarter. Kingston 3rds managed to finally play effectively at the defensive end of the floor, and with Michael Sullivan (from close) and Mark Bottiglia (from distance) scoring in a run that favoured the 3rds by 20 points to 7 this was the crucial spell in the match.
Final score Kingston 3rds 80 Kingston 2nds 61

Top 3 scorers
Matt Pye and Michael Sullivan 17 each
Carl Plunkett 12

07 Nov 10

Sunday 7th November saw Kingston 3rds play host to a veteran Cheam Chargers team. After picking up an injury in the first game of this season, James Curran was back and made an immediate impact with his excellent passing leading to 2 successive 3s from Carl Plunkett and a lay-up from Matt Pye. Carl added another 2 baskets from long distance as the Wildcats made a decent start to the game, pulling a 7 point lead from the first 10 minutes of action.
In the 2nd quarter, Kingston continued to shoot a high percentage from behind the arc with scores coming from Mark Bottiglia (twice) and one each from Carl and Matt. At the the halfway stage Wildcats led by 50 to 32.
The start of the second half opened in identical fashion to the start of the game with 2 more 3s from Carl as the home team extended their lead.
In the 4th quarter Cheam showed great determination and effort in securing a number of loose balls and rebounds to cut into the 3rds lead. The final score ; Kingston 3rds 89 Cheam Chargers 70

Carl 21 ( 7 - 3s)
James Curran 16
Matt Pye and Mark Bottiglia 12 each

05 Nov 10

On Friday 5th November, the Kingston 3rd Team faced Kingston School of Basketball. Again, 3rds were missing a few guys and went with 8 players, but did welcome back Stuart Tanner after a long term injury for his first game of the season.
Wildcats made their now customary slow 1st quarter start. In the first period only two players scored for Kingston, Mark Bottiglia with 11 points ( including 3 3s ) and Horacio Lopez with two quick drives after coming off the bench at the midway point. KSOB pressed at the end of this quarter to good effect and led after 10 minutes by 17 to 15.
In the middle two quarters, Kingston were transformed from a sluggish slow start to an outstanding defensive 20 minute spell . Matt Pye, Michael Sullivan and Andy Nowak excelled with defence and defensive rebounding, leaving Mark Bottiglia, Carl Plunkett and Stuart Tanner to lead the way at the other end of the floor. In this spell, the Wildcats outscored KSOB by 25 to 8 (2nd Quarter) and 25 to 12 (3rd period).
The final period was fairly even, but the final score of 92 - 61 was a fair reflection of Kingston's best all round performance of the season against a good young KSOB squad .

Top 3 scorers
Stuart Tanner 28
Mark B 20
Carl 12

31 Oct 10

Kingston Women v Tandridge :
Other than the first quarter where Kingston lead by 5, the following quarters were only split by one point.........Although a very low scoring game for both teams, with the final score being 37 - 32 in Kingstons favour, both teams faught hard at both ends.
Another strong game by Karen Mullen, really finding her feet as a regular in the team this season, and with the return of Natalie Gibson and Sarah Williams the inside game for Kingston was strong.
Leah Beevers had a number of strong fast breaks and with her quick feet showed great defense down the opposite end.
3 games in, 2 wins 1 loss and with many new players and new coach leading them, the women are showing great focus and team energy.
Next home game: Sunday 14th November against London Acers.

24 Oct 10

On Sunday 24th October, Kingston 3rds faced Mole Valley in Leatherhead. The team missed a few of their regular guys, and just 8 players suited up to play. The first quarter was quite even, and finely balanced between two very different teams. Kingston 3rds, a veteran unit, and Mole Valley a much younger faster group. The 2nd period was slightly better for the away team with Mark Bottiglia (from distance) and Horacio Lopez combining to score 16 of Kingstons 20 points in the quarter.

At the very start of the 3rd, Carl Plunkett sparked a scoring burst with 2 consecutive steals, and 2 consecutive 3 pointers, this aided to the Wildcats extending the small half time lead to 16 points. Credit to Mole Valley, after a time out, they rallied to quickly reduce the points spread to just 4 points by the time the quarter ended.

In the 4th, both Carl and Mark scored from distance, and despite strong all round contributions from Horacio and Max Curle, the game stayed very close. Mole Valley continued to play well in the last period until a 3 point shot at buzzer took the game into overtime.

Even though Mole Valley scored the first 2 points of the extra period, Kingston responded "digging in" and scored 10 of the games next 11 points, stretching the lead to 99 to 92.

Some excellent defence from Max and Michael Sullivan meant that Kingston's poor shooting from the foul line was not punished as they managed to hold on for a tough win.

Final score, Mole Valley 96 - Kingston Wildcats 3rds 102 (after OT)

Top scorers: Mark Bottiglia 24, Horacio Lopez 23.

21 Oct 2010

Wildcats women travelled to play London Acers and were interested to see what Acers had in store, with practice the night before focusing on what Isabelle, (Acers key player) might try on us we were very aware of her positioning on the floor.
Going out against a bigger team, we knew boxing out and rebounding was key, something that took us some time to get into, with Acers getting 2 - 3 offensive boards and tip backs. Although the score line showed we were leading, there was rarley a clear stretch where we ran away with it with the quarter scores: Acers 4, 12 14 and 10 points Kingston with: 10, 12, 17 and 15 with the final score at Acers 40 Kingston 54. A nice 14 point win. Steph Jenkins, one of Wildcats new players this season, coming over from Australia, found her range gaining 11 points which included three 3's. A great game for her last night. Karen Mullen really working it on the inside at both ends of the floor getting a few knocks on the way.

17 Oct 2010

The 3rds faced a tough match up at Chessington against Royal Russell Raiders. The visitors featured Brian Moore and Roger Lloyd from our Founders Cup squad .

For the third successive march Kingston started very slowly in the first quarter. However, unlike the two previous games this poor start proved decisive.

Matt Pye, with a drive, scored the first 2 points of the match, but it was a false dawn. Mark Burton replied with a 3 for the raiders and the Wildcats never regained the lead. Royal Russell scored easily inside and shot a very high percentage from distance. At the end of the first period, Kingston trailed by 19 points. 

For the remaining 3 Quarters, despite a few small scoring runs for each side the final deficit was still 19. RRR had managed  to extend their lead to as much as 22, but even in their best spells, Kingston could only reduce the short fall to 11 points.    A bad day at the office for the 3rd team and their Coach.

Top 3 scorers ;
Matt Pye & Ed Saayeng - both with 14
Chris Needham & Horacio Lopez - both with 11

10 Oct 2010

On Sunday 10th October, the 3rd team had their first home game of the new Season. Opponents this time were Sunbury Sonics.

The start of this game was worrying similar to the beginning of their previous away game . Wildcats had a very poor, very slow start to the game, and were soon behind 12 to 4. Again it took Mark Bottiglia and Horacio Lopez to spark the team, they combined to score the next 9 points, to push the home team into a one point lead.

Wildcats never really looked back after that. An excellent 2nd quarter with contributions from all 9 players really decided the game as Sunbury were out-scored by 34 to 12.

A good solid all round Team effort, with all players scoring was a true reflection on the match . Final score 102 - 62


The Wildcats womens first game of the season was against Twickenham Tigers, last season's League winners.
With lots of new additions to the womens team, we were going in with the mind set of play tough, run the bench and go all out.
The women did exactly that, with a very low scoring first half, both teams were really digging in to break away but neither team gained heavy leads.
Leah Beevers, one of Kingstons new players, did a great job running the point and working hard at the other end.
Natalie Gibson, Sarah Williams and Karen Mullen had great inside games with Karen really stepping up hard and having possibly one of her best games.
Emma King-Bridgeman taking it to the hoop drawing fouls and getting to the line. Making 4 out of 8 foul shots.
With the lead coming from new head coach Adam Pearce, the women remained very positive and determind to not let Tigers pull away.
The game ended a very low scoring 35 - 30 to Twickenham Tigers but with lots of changes and a new coach, Kingston did themselves proud on their first game out. 

Next home game : Sunday 31st October at Chessington Sports College 5:45pm tip v's Tandridge.

05 Oct 2010

The Mens 3rd Team started the 2010/11 Season with a difficult away game against Woking Blackhawk Hunters. The home Team looked much improved from the previous season, but with Jayde Williams and Chris Needham making their debuts a good start was hoped for.

Unfortunately that was not the case. Wildcats 3rds started very slowly at both ends of the floor, and at the end of the 1st Quarter Woking held a two point lead.

In the 2nd Quarter with Mark Bottiglia finding his range and Horacio Lopez providing a spark off  the bench Wildcats out-scored the home Team by 14 points . After the half time break the excellent play continued with Matt Pye scoring 7 points in quick succession, and the lead stretched to 21 points.

From that point on Kingston switched off, and credit to Woking who battled, scrapped and fought their way back for the remainder of the 3rd Quarter and most of  the 4th, to reduce the deficit to just 11 points.

Wildcats managed to make just enough free throws in the last 2 minutes to eek out a win by 16 points.  

26 July 2010

Wildcats won the Trojans Wildcats Trophy for the second year. The game was close through three quarters but ended up 87 - 69. Carl Plunkett top scored with 24 points (8 threes) and was awarded the MVP.

The game started well for the Trojans who jumped out to a 6 - 0 lead.  Kingston stuttered through the first 3 minutes without scoring.  Carl Plunkett soon woke up to hit 3 threes in the first quarter giving the Wildcats a 16 - 10 lead after one period. 
Last year's MVP guard Wes Chantler pulled down 7 rebounds in the first half, while Mark Bottiglia handed out 7 assists.  Ross Emery led the Trojans revival with back to back threes mid way through the second quarter.  However Kingston matched Tile Hill and headed to the half time break still with a 6 point lead 35 - 29.
The Wildcats started the second half with more threes including 4 more from Plunkett.  Tile Hill found their shooting range too with threes from Anderson, Owen, Krupa and Jenna.  With under 2 minutes to go in the quarter Kingston were up by 10.  But a fight back led by two Tile Hill debutants pulled the score back to 55 - 48 at the end of the third.
The final quarter started slowly for Tile Hill, by the third minute more sharp shooting by the Wildcats had pushed their lead out to 19 points.  Back to back threes from Jabob Krupa cut into that lead and with Jason Edwards controlling the boards the Wildcats lead was cut to 11 with 3 minutes to go.  From there in Trojans just seemed to run out of steam, as the experienced Wildcats team protected their lead by running the clock down before getting good open shots. 


Tile Hill:   Tim Duckers 5, Scott Owen 11, Jacob Krupa 11, Jason Edwards 11, Ross Emery 12, Tom Anderson 13, Matt Jenna 6.
Kingston:  Matt Pye 13, Carl Plunkett 24, Wes Chantler 11, Horacio Lopez 11, Mark Bottiglia 12, Mike Sullivan 8, Roger Lloyd 8.

Wildcats women beat Woking Blackhawks 56 - 48 in the Wildcats challenge game. Joss Brendekamp and Natalie Gibson were top scorers with 14 points. Joss also had 8 rebounds and 6 steals and was voted MVP.

Both team struggled to get started in this game, until Natalie Gibson hit a layup and two foul shots to give Kingston a 4 – 0 lead after four minutes.  Woking soon hit back with scores from Mara Makoni and Elaine Mongomery.  This left the scores tied at 11 -11 at the end of the first period.  In the second quarter the Wildcats got out of the blocks much quicker and after 10 unanswered points jumped out to a 31 – 18 lead  in the eighth minute.  This surge was led by 10 points from Joss Brendenkamp.  The Wildcats went in to the half time break with a 34 – 20 lead.  The third quarter was all Woking as they clawed their way back into the game.  Kingston’s shooting touch disappeared and Elaine Montgomery hitting two threes allowed Woking to reduce the deficit to 46 – 40 going into the final quarter.  Woking did manage to get within four points in the fourth period,  but the Wildcats held on for a 56 –  48 win.
Woking: Emilee Jones 2, Becca Elite 3, Tish Piwowarek 4, Elaine Montgomery 15, Hannah Jarvis 6, Jess Rodriegus 2, Mara Makoni 16.
Kingston: Liz Clark 8, Sandi Allison 2, Emma King-Bridgeman 13, Joss Brendenkamp 14, Tanya Corry 1, Natalie Gibson 14, Karen Mullan 4.

18 July 2010


The Trojans Wildcats Trophy is taking place on Sunday 25th July at Chessington Sports Centre. At 3pm Tile Hill Trojans will play Kingston Wildcats in the second game in this annual event. At 1pm Wildcats women take on Woking Blackhawks Ladies in the Wildcats Challenge. The games are sponsored by Alto Clothing and Powerhouse Fitness of Chessington.

10 April 2010

A combination of illness and unavailability of players led to a 60 - 61 defeat in the final of the Founders Cup. We played the last 2 minutes with four players and the last minute with just three. It was a spirited performance against the odds, and going into the final minute we still had a one point lead. Roger Lloyd led the team with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Full stats are available here.


28 March 2010

After a nail biting finish, we edged Oxford Brooks Devils in the Founders Cup semi 88 - 86. Oxford were coached by ex-Wildcats National League captain Mark Poynton, who played for years with many of the current Wildcats team. A below par performance in the first half saw us down 50 - 47 at the break. Coach Phil Gunner made some defensive adjustments in the third quarter which restricted oxford to just 17 points and gave the Wildcats a 73 - 67 lead going into the final period. Some hard work at both ends of the floor soon pushed this lead to 10 points, but Oxford didn't fold and came back to within 2 points with possession and 23 seconds left. As the clock wound down Paul Chantler was called for a foul with 1.3 seconds remaining. The Oxford player missed the first shot, and then deliberately missed the second in the hope of getting an offensive rebound, but Steve Rich got to the ball first securing the victory. Brian Moore was the top scorer with 22 points, with Paul Chantler and Phil Kidd adding 12 and 11 points. This sets up a third consecutive final appearance for the Wildcats on the 10th April against London Lithuanians.

14 March 2010

We beat Southend Scorpions 88 -76 which means a semi fianl with Oxford Brooks Devils on the 27 March. Gavin English led the balanced scoring with 13 points, Carl Plunkett and Steve Rich had 10 and 9 each.

01 March 2010

We beat Twickenham 92 - 42 to set up a quarter final against Southend Scorpions on the 13 March. Steve Rich led the team with 17 points, with James Cook and Brian Moore adding 14 and 10 each.

The quarter finals line up like this:

Kingston Wildcats V   Southend Scorpions
University of East Anglia Panthers V   Ealing Phoenicians
Met Police Trident V   London Lithuanians
Oxford Brookes Devils V   Rochdale Cardinal Langley

15 February 2010

After going unbeaten in the group stages of the National Founders Cup, we were given top seed in the knock out stages and will have home court advantage right up to the semi final. In the Last 16 we have drawn Twickenham Tigers, who qualified from our group with one of the best records outside the top two. The game will be at Richard Challoner School on 28 February 4.15pm tip.

07 November 2009

Beat Twickenham Tigers 90 - 62 to go to the top of our Founders Cup group. Carl Plunkett led the balanced scoring with 16 points, James Cook added 14 and Phil Kidd 11 points.

05 July 2009

Wildcats win the Trojans Wildcats Trophy 77 - 71. Paul "Wes" Chantler is MVP after scoring 24 points and taking 7 rebounds. More to follow.

04 June 2009

The inaugural Trojans Wildcats Trophy will take place on at 2pm on Sunday 05 July 2009 at the University of Warwick main sports hall.  The game sponsored by Alto Clothing is against Warwickshire’s Tile Hill Trojans and will be an annual event alternating between the two clubs home venues. Click here for directions to Warwick Uni.

10 May 09

Wildcats second team win the 2009 Surrey Mens Cup, beating Royal Russell 80 - 57 in the final at Chessington Sports Centre. Rob Kornas top scored with 22 points.

04 April 09

Third Time Lucky!

The Wildcats have won the National Founders Cup beating Kings Lynn Ironwolf 77 - 65 at Moorways Sports Centre in Derby. Captain Steve Rich was the MVP after leading the team with 19 points, 5 steals, 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

16 March 2009

We're through to the final of the National Founders cup, after beating Peterborough Vytis 94 - 61. Vytis made a decent start but a 7 point second quarter led to an 18 point half time deficit, which was too much to overcome. The Wildcats were the only English team in the semis, the other three teams being made up of Lithuanian nationals. We now face Kings Lynn Ironwolf in the final, who beat last years winners London Lithuanians 83 - 74. This will be our third trip the the Founders cup final. We lost to the US Airforce team Menthwith Hill over two legs in 1996, and were pipped 83 - 82 last year by London Lithuanians.

The final is on Saturday 04 April at Moorways Leisure Centre in Derby. Please Contact Us for further details.



Our basketball club is 25 years old! To commemorate this and to help raise funds we’ve had some fantastic anniversary t-shirts made...